Sunday, August 9, 2009

Test 1 - Kidney flow test

So for this one, you prep by drinking more water than usual in the morning. No problem. Then they shoot you up with radioactive stuff. They put you in a machine and "watch" the chemical be elimitated in your kidneys, then bladder, then out. Check to see if all the plumbing is working like it should. Halfway through, you go to pee and they should see an empty bladder. Hmmm. My bladder still looks pretty full. That explains it. The "output" is partially blocked. For the test to complete, they really want to get the bladder empty. I can't do it, soooooo, they bring in a nurse to put in a catheter. Been there, done that, not fun. She gives it a try and can't get past the prostate. OUCH. She tries one more time. OUCH, OUCH. She can't get it. I'm freaked out. I hurt down there like crazy, I have a really full feeling in my bladder and apparently I can't pee. Oh, almost forgot. They gave me lasix, so I HAVE to pee about every 10 minutes. Actually, I can pee a tiny bit, so we finish the test and I go pee. I start walking back to my car and need to find a bathroom before leaving the hospital. On the way home, I have to stop by my Mom's house to pee (I'm lucky if I can make it 10 minutes without the cramps kicking in). I finally make it home. The lasix wears off in a few hours and I'm starting to feel a little better. When I relax, I can get some relief. The test does show that I have something blocking the output of my bladder. The progressing of the symptoms have me thinking cancer. After talking with the oncologists, they start to think the same thing.

No comments: