Tuesday, August 11, 2009

Not your normal drive-by surgery

Letter to my friends:

Just to let you know, I'll be going to Texas Sunday for surgery scheduled on Aug. 21st. We suspect it will be a 6-8 hour surgery where they will try to remove the cancer and most of the organs in my pelvis. I get new "plumbing" as part of the job. Specifics will be determined that day, depending on where the cancer is and how much stuff they have to work with after the previous surgeries and radiation. Statistically, there's about a 50% chance of complication and about a 5% operative mortality rate. Skydiving on acid is safer. That being said, I have about the best guy in the world doing the procedure. He's the recognized expert in this type of surgery, so I'm sure everything will be fine. Wish me luck!

Thanks,
Mark

No comments: