Saturday, August 22, 2009

good morning

Mark spent the night in the step-down PACU, which had regular beds but the staffing and monitoring of an ICU. Theoretically, this will allow more rest. However, between the alarms and the checks and the everything else, we were awakened at least every hour. As I type this, we are trying to get the SCDs (devices on the legs that prevent clots) to work. Always something.

All in all, things are going well. Mark is in remarkably good shape for an entire day in the OR. I expected a lot of edema, but he's really pretty normal looking. Except for the extra tubes, which include one in his nose (NG), one in his neck (CVL), 4 in his arms (IVs and an art line), the two ostomies, 3 drains and an epidural. Moving around takes planning.

The plastic surgeons came in this morning to tell us they didn't want him putting weight on his right leg where the flap came out of for at least 3 days. Also, he can't set up greater than 45 degrees for a while. His right leg will be weaker, and Mark was bummed this ended his dream of professional football place kicker.

He will move to a regular room sometime today. The surgeons haven't rounded yet, so after they do, I will take a shower and eat breakfast. I should be feeling pretty stinky for having about 6 hours of sleep in 2 days, but I'm actually doing pretty good. More this afternoon. Thank you all for all the positive energy, love and prayers. They all worked.

7 comments:

kristy said...

everything sounds as positive as could be wished for. You both are the strongest most positive people I know. I'm thinking of you constantly (in between putting out fires at work anyway). Love you both. Kristy

Kim said...

Sounds like things are going reasonably well. Both of you have been in my thoughts. Please know that your friends at work are here for you. Kim

Mom and Dad said...

We are so pleased and thankful that Mark is doing as well as anyone could. Sheila, we're so proud of you. Although we aren't in Texas, we feel like we are right there with you. Our prayers for you both will continue. We know that you will take good care of Mark; please take good care of yourself too.

Kim said...

Hi Mark,
I don't know if you would remember me or not, Kim Smith Miller. We went to Fort Johnson together. I learned through facebook what all you have been going through. I have been reading about your "journey" and I just want you to know that you are in my thoughts and prayers. I am glad that your surgery went well yesterday. I pray that you will soon be on your way to recovery!!

mlg said...

Sheila-whew!! thank you for your wonderful updates. You and Mark are heroes-so strong and able to keep that sense of humor intact through it all.If I was standed on a deserted island, I would want you and Sheila there too! You are both in our thoughts and prayers and power pieces in the boat and on the erg!! and our food lion religious candle burned all night and day yesterday for you and we did not burn down the house.
Stay strong. Hugs and Love- Louise & Noreen

current elecyric vehciles said...

Sounds like Mark is the NEW BIONIC MAN! I'm sure you could use a good massage about now.
Stuart and I wish Mark a speedy recovery and hope you'll come home to us soon.
Thanks for keeping us updated on his status.
Much love,
Janice and Stuart

sylvia huskey said...

we are so pleased you are doing so well, know that we love you and send hugs, prayers, and strong, strong energy.love sylvia/paul