Friday, August 21, 2009

Cosmic connections

Long story here, but I have a few minutes on my hands to type-

This morning, we walked past an empty security guard station and joked that we could be terrorists for all MD Anderson knew. Mark brought up a reference to a funny story that happened when he used to work at Blackbaud. Years ago, Mark supervised a group of people that worked on internal systems there. One day, one of his employees named Aaron, who had been a Farsi translator in the Army, sent out a test email from a Ali Akbar at hamas.org. The email clearly said "test", but somehow clients of Blackbaud at a day school in Miami got word that Hamas was trying to contact them. Needless to say, hijinks ensued. A VP of Blackbaud later sent out an email trying to deflate the kerfluffle. One PC line in his email has stuck with Mark and I for a long time: "Of note, Hamas is an advocacy organization for the liberation of Palestine". Advocacy organization. It was the beginning of the end for Mark at Blackbaud, as he couldn't handle the corporate weaselness. We hadn't thought of that story in a very long time.

To my knowledge, Mark had not heard from Aaron since he left (we're talking almost a decade). Aaron left a post on the blog this morning, the very morning Mark and I got a laugh out of his joke. Aaron, if you are still out there, thank you for thinking of us. To me, this is a kind of sign that the universe is coming together for Mark. Whoo, I just got chills.

1 comment:

Seasoned Curlies said...

I'm here, Miss Sheila, just speechless. I'll send y'all an email when I can wrap my head around what just happened.