Monday, August 24, 2009

sharks and scares

Here is Mark's leg after the plastic surgeons worked on it. Good thing they were plastic surgeons, or the scar could have been really bad. You can't see the missing muscle too much, and they tell us that, with time, the other 3 muscles in his leg will take over all the work. Mark still has a good story about his "shark bite" to tell anyone on the beach why he doesn't surf anymore.

On the way to lunch today, I had a bit of an episode myself. I fell as I was walking around Mark's bed. I don't know what happened except I am clumsy and there might have been some water on the floor. I hit my head on the bedside table and fell down on my back. As I was laying there, I looked up on the wall where there was a sign saying "Call, don't fall", so patients wouldn't try to get up themselves. I don't think it was directed at clumsy wives. Looking at that picture, I started to laugh at the absurdity of it all. Mark thought I was crying and it scared him a bit, but I was okay. My back hurt more from the 3 nights in the Barcolounger. The laugh was really a catharsis and made me feel better. Not the best technique for relieving stress, but it worked.

1 comment:

Susan Spearman said...

Hi Mark,

We really missed you this year at the Sertoma Classic. On Friday evening there was a prayer for you. I have retyped it below, we had a Stadium full of people lifting you up. Please know that my family and I are praying for you, too, daily.

Here's the prayer.

Oh God, your Son Jesus Christ said that we minister to him when we cloth the naked, give food to the hungry and drink to the thirsty, and visit the sick and imprisoned: We pray your blessing on the Sertoma Club of Charleston as they serve mankind and accelerate progress in health, education, freedom and democracy; and that as they go and as they serve, may they feel your empowering presence among them and thereby may they bring honor to You, the holy one who lives and reigns for ever.

And especially, Lord, we pray for their friend Mark Scarborough who can not be here tonight but is in Houston seeking healing. We pray that You would intervene and provide him with excellent medical care, insightful doctors, and if need be, a miracle so that he too may feel your blessing in moving forward with his friends as they together accelerate progress to the betterment of people here and everywhere. Amen.

Shelia, we are keepin you in prayer, too.

Sertoma Sue