Sunday, September 6, 2009

Home Sweet Home

The flight home was relatively uneventful and we're back home in Charleston!!!! Got in around 10:30 PM and my brother picked us up. Mom was in the car too. When we got home, everything appeared in order and the dogs were VERY happy to see us. Played with the dogs some, took a shower and went to bed. Both of us slept very soundly. No street/city noises going on all night - very peaceful. Since I slept all night, I missed my 3 AM pain pill dose. At 9:00 AM I sure could notice it! The right leg (where they harvested the muscle) is still pretty sore. We'll get hooked up with the pain management guys at MUSC to work out a plan. I'm sure it will get better over the next couple months. Still a little unsteady walking as well, but I'm sure that will get better too. Anyone know of any good exercises for someone missing a rectus femoris? We'll figure out a way to do some "easy" squats and work up from there. HAPPY TO BE HOME!!!!

THANK YOU to everyone that has posted and supported us through this ordeal. Reading the blog posts, getting emails and knowing you guys are out there thinking & praying for us has been an amazing source of strength for us. It has truly helped my recovery and means so much to Sheila and I.

FYI - We'll keep posting here occasionally, but don't expect any more daily updates!

8 comments:

Unknown said...

Mark,
So glad you are back in your own bed. I have been tracking your blog but only now have figured out what I needed to do to comment. It will be good to have lunch with you again, hopefully soon. You have given us all strenght aand courage during your journey and have been in all our prayers.
Buck Erdner

Unknown said...

Mark,
Happy to hear you two are home safe and sound.
Barbara and I are headed to Atlanta Tuesday to visit our son and his family and then on to Gainesville for the Atlanta festival. We will be paddling for you on Saturday my friend......Tom

Marjorie said...

WELCOME HOME!!!!!!!!! I am sure your babies will find lots of activities to help you build that leg up again... if they tell you to fetch the ball, remind them you are the boss, Mark. Love to Sheila and I hope you both get a bit of a rest before picking up your lives here.
Marjorie

Jimazing said...

Welcome home. Hoping for a speedy recovery.
Jim

Nicole Seitz said...

There's nothing like coming home. I'm thanking God you're back and doing so well.

Keep your spirits up!

Pamela said...

Welcome home Mark and Sheila! YEA! The worst is over. Rest easy, friends. You're in my prayers, as always
Pamela King

eharmony dropout said...

It was great to see you both at the marina on Thursday night. You are truly amazing. Hope you had a good weekend and we'll see you at the dock again soon.
Love ya,
Hazel

Unknown said...

Glad you are home. Wishing you all the best of everything as you build up your strength. Love to you and Sheila.
Ed and Mer