Wednesday, December 22, 2010

Stent Internalized


The Monday after we got back to Charleston, we had an appointment with our IR (Interventional Radiology) doc for another stent swap. We chatted about removing the nephrostomy tube and he agreed that it was a reasonable plan.

For those of you just now tuning in, I have what seems to be a somewhat "mushy" tumor in my ureter (where it connects with my ileal conduit). Doctors have placed a "double J" stent that goes between my kidney and ileal conduit so the tumor doesn't block any urine flow. The "J" is where the stent makes a little curlie-q (with holes) for the fluid to enter/exit. To "get" to the stent and to provide a "backup path" in case it should get clogged, there's an extra tube that goes from the kidney out my back to a connector (which is normally plugged shut unless we need it). This is the nephrostomy tube. If the ureter became completely blocked, we'd use this for drainage.

The stents have been working fine for several months, and the nephrostomy tube adds some additional chances for infection (and it's a hassle! Cleaning every other day and poking you in the ribs when you roll over sleeping) so our docs said it's time for it to go. We agree!

So Monday, our IR doc does the swap but this time without the nephrostomy tube (the stent is still in but all "internalized" now). For the next swap they will have to go in through "the front" (through my urostomy/stoma). This is one instance where my new plumbing is making things easier. Going through the weenie would NOT be fun. Everything went according to plan, my good friend nurse Joy provided a lovely level of sedation and I no longer have a tube hanging out of my back. Yay!

A few days later (Sat. Dec 18th) I woke up with a temp of 101.6. Looks like an infection. This has happend before and we had a pretty good idea that it was a UTI. With the ileal conduit, UTIs are pretty common and they had just been in there last week. We called the doc on call at the hospital and he prescribed some antibiotics (good ol' Cipro). They kicked in pretty quickly and the next day I was already feeling better. It will just have to be one of those things that we keep an eye on.

Feeling pretty good on the plan for keeping my plumbing in order. Things could change, but the internal stents are working pretty good for now.

For the cancer, we're still waiting to hear the exact plan from our Texas docs. We'll ping them in a few days to see what's up. Hopefully it won't be too yucky, but chances are it will be :) Until then, however, I'm planing on having a fun chemo-free holiday. You too!!

2 comments:

Seasoned Curlies said...

The struggle continues! I'm keeping faith with you, sir. Did you ask the doc for a USB connector while they were down there? Y'know, for your iPod.

My best of thoughts for you, Mark!!!

-Aaron Brown

Lisa said...

Hey Mark! Robert Loy posted your blog site on FB Fjh's site.
I read some of your posts and I can feel the strength and focus you have.
While most of me wishes we didn't have such difficult times in our lives, I have been amazed at the growth, insight and compassion I have learned, which makes these trials invaluable.
Keep fighting, continued success and have a great Memorial Weekend!